Hey guys! If your weeks are jam packed like ours are, I’m guessing you want dinner to be quick and easy, yet yummy and filling. I’ve been cooking a lot more lately and the last thing I want after work is to be in the kitchen for hours cooking before we eat dinner. Jordan and I both work full time jobs, so by the time we get home, we are both pretty tired. I’m the one that does the cooking, which I’m fine with because I actually enjoy cooking and coming up with new recipes for us to try. Jordan is really helpful with cleaning up after dinner, so it’s a fair trade. 🙂
The one thing that I need to get better at is meal planning. That is the hardest thing for me to grasp for some reason. Am I the only one!? I am good about cooking chicken or something like that in the beginning of the week, but when it comes to actually planning meals, I forget to do that. Having chicken ready ahead of time really comes in handy when I don’t have dinner planned and am trying to think of what to make for us. I try to keep a lot of fresh veggies in the house because Jordan and I both like to eat healthy meals (not all of the time, trust me).
For not planning this meal, I was pretty impressed with what I came up with on a whim. I combined all of our favorite veggies, cooked chicken, and rice to make a yummy balsamic bowl. It was so simple, yet bursting with flavor, and very filling. We both had enough left over for lunch the next day. That is a win in my book! Here’s how I made our balsamic bowl:
- Cooked chicken breasts
- Brussel sprouts
- Sweet potatoes
- Cherry tomatoes
- Instant rice
- Balsamic glaze
- Set oven to bake at 450. Wash and cut all veggies. I peeled the skin off of the sweet potatoes and cut them into small squares. I cut the brussel sprouts and cherry tomatoes in half.
- Heat up olive oil in a pan and add chicken. Add salt and pepper to both sides. I used chicken breast strips, so it only took about 6 minutes on each side to cook. (I also had the chicken already cooked from the night before, but just incase you don’t).
- Put brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes onto a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in oven for 30 minutes, maybe less. About halfway through, on another baking sheet put on the tomatoes and the zucchini. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, then add to oven. The brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes take longer to cook, that’s why I separate them.
- Bring two cups of water to a boil. The amount of water depends on what your rice box calls for, or how much you want to make. I boil two cups of water. Once the water is boiled, I stir in two cups of instant rice, cover, then take off of the heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Once the veggies are roasted (a nice golden brown), the chicken is cooked and sliced, and the rice is ready, I add the rice to a bowl, then the veggies and chicken. I top it off with a drizzle of balsamic glaze. It is such a simple recipe and so yummy!
The best part about this dish is that you can add whatever ingredients you like. You can pick and choose whatever you want in your bowl. Jordan and I both enjoyed this one and I’ll definitely be making it again! Happy eating!